Greetings to the Pack,We will have a Pack Meeting followed by a Christmas party on this coming Monday, December 14. Please bring some finger food to share.
Thursday, December 10, 2015
Thursday, November 12, 2015
We have a couple things to note:
1) Dues are due. That's $26 for the 2016 calendar year, plus $12 for Boy's Life (optional). Please turn that in by Nov. 16 or speak to myself or Eric Hester about a scholarship.
2) Uniforms. If your scout doesn't have a uniform, we have a few that have been donated and we can see if we have a shirt that will fit. If not, speak to myself or Eric Hester. I also know of one Tiger Scout uniform for sale.
3) Parent check off of awards. Parents- you can check off your son's award requirements if you believe he has "done his best" to meet them. We look for solid effort, not perfection. Please let me or your den leader (or both) know if your son has completed a belt loop or pin (or something else) outside of meetings. Either way, please mark completion in their handbook so there is a record of them completing a requirement.
4) Bobcat & new scouts - we want them to complete the Bobcat as soon as possible. Please let me know by the end of this Monday's meeting (16th) if your son has completed all 7 Bobcat requirements (including a discussion between you and him of the youth protection pamphlet). I would love to award all the new boys Bobcats at our next pack meeting.
5) Webelos Troop Visit - The Webelos scouts are invited to visit a regular meeting of Boy Scout Troop 914. They meet at the same church as we do at 6:30 pm on Thursday, November 19. They will do some demonstrations for our boys and involve them in some activities.
Thursday, October 8, 2015
We've all seen the news of the flooding and damage in South Carolina and as Scouts, our first response is how can we "help other people at all times" in this situation.
TWSA is collecting cases of bottled water to send to several communities, mainly Columbia, SC, that lack clean water service right now. I would like to ask each family in the pack to bring one case of bottled water to our den meeting on Monday, October 12. I encourage you to get the word out to family and neighbors, asking them to donate more either to you to bring to our Den meeting OR by directly dropping off the cases at TWSA.
Also, I will need one family with a vehicle with relatively large cargo space such as a truck, SUV, or minivan, to help me load up these cases to drop off at TWSA. Please let me know if you're able to help & drop off those cases the next day.
-Lee Nickles, Cubmaster
Friday, October 2, 2015
WCU has cancelled the campout portion of the Scout Football Day. This seems like a very wise move to me. The game is still going on and if you signed up you can still get your ticket from me, attend the game, use the food voucher, and get a patch. I will be at the Will Call gate at about 2:30 to 3 pm - Gate 1 - see the map for where this is.
If you want your ticket early, let me know and I can try to meet you elsewhere. However, I will not get food vouchers until I can pick them up at Will Call the day of the game. We're all sitting together in our pack, so you can get those from me for your family once we're inside the stadium.
My cell if you need it: 828.399.1657
Thursday, September 24, 2015
Greetings to the Pack,
We have several new scouts joining us as a result of recruitment night this week, so to those: Welcome! I'm Lee Nickles, Cubmaster for the Pack. If you have any questions please talk to your den leader or myself.
For everyone (and a reminder for our returning scouts) we have several events coming up.
1) This Saturday, Sept. 26, Shooting Sports day. Show up at 9 am at the American Legion in Waynesville with $5. There will be a round of shooting sports and other activities for all cub scouts. Lunch is included.
2) Pack Meeting, Monday, Sept 28, 6 pm at Cullowhee Methodist Church. If possible, come in uniform.
3) WCU Football/Campout - Oct. 3. For $15 per person, you get a ticket to the football game, a food voucher, and the opportunity to camp out on the field after the game. I need to know by this Friday at noon at the very latest if you plan to go and how many tickets you need. Scouts must come in Class A/Field uniform (blue or khaki uniform shirt).
4) Cub-Parent Weekend - Oct 10-11. This is at Camp Daniel Boone and is $30 per cub and parent pair. Please register and pay at pack meeting this coming Monday. Details:
Also, Popcorn Sales begin this Friday. We need funds from popcorn sales to keep our pack going.
Take note of our pack website:
You'll find copies of these emails AND our pack calendar.
Again, if you have any questions please contact me or any other leader.
-Lee Nickles, Cubmaster
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Our Pack activities are starting up again this fall. We will start with a Cookout Kickoff on Monday, August 31 at 6 pm. We will meet at the picnic shelter (the one close to the swing set) at 6 pm for hot dogs and sides. We ask each family to bring a side and a drink to share. The pack will provide hot dogs, buns, condiments, and paper products. The whole family is welcome, and feel free to bring a friend who might be interested in Cub Scouts.
Also, our pack's event calendar is up. You can view it on our website:
Note that some have difficulty viewing the calendar while logged in to their gmail account. You may need to view the calendar in a private/incognito window OR after logging out of your Google/gmail account.
Sunday, July 26, 2015
While this is short notice, we'd like to have those that can come meet us this Wednesday at 7 pm to walk the Greenway in Cullowhee. We'll walk the 1 mile length, picking up the trash that has already started to appear along the trail. Then, we'll walk back and head for Jack the Dipper for some ice cream. This is a family event, so bring everyone, including friends that may be interested in scouts. Please come in activity uniform (any cub scout t-shirt).
Here are directions to the parking area of the Greenway:
If you're not sure where the Greenway is, meet us at 7 pm at the Cullowhee Methodist Church where we usually meet and we can convoy/carpool over.
Hope to see you there!
-Lee Nickles, Cubmaster
Saturday, April 11, 2015
The Cub-Parent Weekend campout will be held April 25-26 at Camp Daniel Boone. Cost is $30 per cub/parent pair, plus an additional $12 for each scout or parent. Siblings are not allowed on this trip. See the flyer for more information. We have to register as a pack and Friday, April 17 is the deadline. So, our pack deadline is this Monday. Please come ready to register and with your payment in cash or check. Note that if your scout sold camp cards, proceeds from that can go to cover this campout. If we don't have BSA medical forms on file for you and your scout, please fill out a copy for both of you and bring that when you register. These campouts are always great fun so I encourage you to come!
Sunday, February 15, 2015
Greetings to the pack,The weather reports look consistently bad for tomorrow afternoon/evening, so I'm going to go ahead and cancel our den meetings for tomorrow.
We are still on schedule for our Blue & Gold Banquet this coming Friday at 6 pm. Please bring a dish (may I recommend chili considering the cold?) and we'll have a great program.
Pack meeting is still Monday, Feb. 23 at the Volunteer Fire Station in Cullowhee (next to the trash/recycling center on Little Savannah).
Take care and stay warm!
-Lee Nickles, Cubmaster